Monday, June 16, 2014

Twist of Taste With Vikas Khanna - How It Happened

Prologue
It was end of August 2013. One evening, I got a call from Nikhil Pai, founder of The Three Hungry Men(Restaurant guides), asking me if I am interested in taking up a job. He said, a TV channel Fox Traveller is going to shoot the episodes of a cookery show with Master Chef Vikas Khanna in Mangalore and the coastal Karnataka upto Kundapur. The media company wanted Food Bloggers to assist them in the job with info, recipes and going around the places with them during the video shoot. he said they may cover the places in three days and I must make myself free those three days, if I am interested. I didn't think twice, and said OK. He also added that one Shruti Rao will contact me over phone and he shall pass on my mobile number to her.

I waited for a week, and then I got a call from Shruti Rao. She spoke clearly and said she's from a media company OML(Only Much Louder) that is handling the media coverage for the show Twist of Taste with Vikas Khanna to be aired on Fox Traveller Channel. She added that they want to find out some places in and around Mangalore where they can cover a few local specialties. Food Bloggers will be of help since they already have the knowledge of these things.

September 12, 2013. Shruti mailed me that they will be arriving in Mangalore on September 14. She forwarded me the itinerary and informed me that she's arriving from Mumbai in the afternoon. I replied her, saying I'll make myself free during their visit and we can discuss about everything when she came to Mangalore in person. She sent a list of activities they'd take up in Mangalore including hunting for a few local items and ingredients like Malabar Spinach and Rose Cookies. She also mentioned that they will be covering the episodes with Mangalore Banana Halwa, Kori Rotti and Byari Biryani. For that, they wanted to fix an appointmernt with restaurants/households that prepare those items.

Without doubt, the famous Banana Halwa of Taj Mahal was in their mind, as they were already guided by one Chef Kamath having chain of restaurants in Mumbai about that, and Kamath was a friend of Colin D'Souza, Nikhil Pai's partner in The Three Hungry Men. Kamath was also responsible for guiding Michael Swamy, Michelin Starred Chef and food designer to cover these specialties of Mangalore. Slowly I started getting a clear picture. I promised Shruti that I will assist them in whatever way they expect me to, for I am a foodie a blogger, a freelance journalist and also a Multimedia professional. Besides, I had experience working with Rediffusion Y&R ad Team from Mumbai in Goa as brand ambassador, for Tata Nano ad photo shoot and radio recording in early November 2010. I knew much about the technical aspects of video documentaries and my 35 plus years of experience in cooking made me well versed with most of the local curries, their history, ingredients and also the best places to eat Mangalorean food! I asked her to give me a ring, once she landed in Mangalore and when she's free to meet me. In my reply, I also added that Taj Mahal owners were my cousins and I can assist the team in contacting them and fixing appointments for the shooting schedule.

Initial Contact
September 14, 2013, 4:30PM. I was away on some personal work when my mobile phone rang. It was Nikhil Pai and he asked me what time will it be convenient for me to meet Shruti and the Senior Manager from OML I told him, anytime after 5:00PM, as I was outside on some work till then. Shruti spoke to me and said they will be coming to my home and discuss the matter, if it's all the same. They were expected to visit me after 6:00PM. I said fine.

Little after 6:30PM Nikhil came with Colin, Shruti and one Pintoo who was the senior manager with OML, in charge of operations. We had a lengthy discussion and both Shruti and Pintoo seemed to be quite relaxed when they found out that I had the stuff within me that they were looking for. They said, they will be shooting sometime in October second week and Kori Rotti episode can be shot in our home. I assured them that I can find some lady bloggers who can be hosts for the show, but they said they were not after glamour, but they wanted to shoot it like a reality show. The episode had Kori Rotti that will be served to Vikas in our home, him explaining about it and then shifting the scene to studio kitchen where he will demonstrate the twist, making his own innovation based on Kori Rotti. Hence they said, I can act in that episode and that came as a real surprise for me, who had the least idea that I'd act with such a celebrity Master Chef Vikas Khanna!

Next day was a Sunday and early morning, I took Shruti and Pintoo around, showing them 3 different markets including Car Street Flower Market, Central Market and Urva Market, hunting for Malabar Spinach. I also took them to different Bakeries but we couldn't find the Rose Cookies anywhere. Shruti and Pintoo also examined our home during daylight and Shruti also took my brief video and pics to show their director. Shruti said, they had already met Sudarshan of Taj Mahal Cafe and discussed about Banana Halwa episode. I met Sudarshan and Kudpi Jagadish Shenoy later, and followed up the matter. I also told them that I was in contact with the OML team and shall keep them updated about the exact dates of probable shooting.

Confirmation
Days went by, and then came October. On October 4, Shruti mailed me and confirmed that the shooting schedule was fixed for October 16 and the crew would be arriving on the 14th. They wanted to see our home and check the spots for shooting, lighting and other technical aspects. The episode would be shot first at a Kori Rotti making unit where I'll show Vikas how the rotti is made, and then shift to our home where Vikas will dine with us. My wife Meena was to show the Kori Ghasi made at home giving it the finishing touches and then serve that to me and Vikas. It sounded like a cakewalk for me! I assured her that we shall prepare the dish at home, since Meena was an expert in making Kori Ghasi and Chicken Sukkha with her experience of cooking those for the last 24 years. I mentioned about my signature dish 'Chicken Kubera' and she said I can include that also in the menu and Vikas would be fascinated to taste it. Then things seemed to move fast and I was sure that indeed I shall be one of the few fortunate ones to work with Vikas on a TV show!

We at home, then started to discuss about how we are going to arrange things. Meena was briefed by me about how we shall be going about it, what all she should take care of, and also that the shooting maybe inside the home, in our kitchen cum diner. I prepared my own script for the show with my own dialogues and also purchased the white lungi, a white half kurta and a shawl to look like a typical Mangalorean Bunt!

In between, Nikhil called me and asked me if I can suggest a canteen like setup where The Three Hungry Men will have an episode with Vikas, highlighting Mangalore Buns by way of 'Buns Eating Hogathon'. He said, they were not able to find a suitable place, and were running out of time. I assured Nikhil that I'll come out with something. Then it flashed to my mind, that Kusum Caterers have a restaurant in Lower Car Street that's more like a canteen. They also have buns and other items prepared in the evenings. I knew Shailesh Bhat, owner of Kusum caterers personally and I took Nikhil along with, to Shailesh and discussed the matter. Since The Three Hungry Men's episode was scheduled for 23rd morning, Shailesh had some doubts about being free. I compelled him and told him that working with Vikas Khanna on the episode will be a big booster for all Mangaloreans, and he should think positively about allowing that to happen in his premises. He agreed and said they will let out the premises till 10:30AM and after that they have to start serving lunch to their regular customers. We said OK.

Nikhil and  Colin with Shruti and Mughda

Priliminary Survey by The Team
We waited but were no signs of the OML team arriving on October 14. I called Nikhil and asked him what's up. He said he will call Shruti and find out about it. He then called back and said the team got stuck in Goa due to rains and may come here after completing the shooting there. Finally they arrived on the 18th of October and Shruti called me two days before that and said my episode will be on October 22. The technical crew will inspect our home on 19th and the Chef from Michael Swamy will discuss with me about our presentation.


Outside Kusum restaurant, Lower Car Street
They came home on the 18th evening with Mughda Savkar who is Michael Swamy's partner, held a meeting and Mughda briefed me about our role, mine and Meena's. The next afternoon they came with the technicians and inspected the spots within the home, choosing our car porch as most ideal to shoot the episode. They also told me not to wear white kurta, as that may cast a glare on the video. I was allowed to wear maroon shirt, which was evidently my favourite one, the one that I also wore during the Tata Nano photo shoot in Goa in 2010. They told me, all dialogues should be casual and without any forced accent. We were not allowed to wear any makeup, since the show was more like a reality show. They said, early 22nd morning some people will be at our home arranging the dining table and things, I should be ready at 11:00AM so that after shooting at Taj mahal cafe in the morning, they will pick me up and take me to Baikampady to the Food Pearls owned Gyp Gyp Gy Kori Rotti unit where I will be meeting Vikas for the first time during the opening shot itself!


Inspection inside Kusum restaurant
On the other hand, they also met Shailesh Bhat of Kusum caterers and discussed about the buns episode. He also gave green signal to them and all went well. Technical team inspected the place and discussed about the setting and lighting there.

Moment of Truth
October 22, 2013. I dressed up, groomed up and got ready by 10:30AM. Shruti came to pick me up and we moved towards Baikampady. On the way Shruti took my signature on the 'No Objection Letter'. At Panambur, we met Nikhil and Colin near Nikhil's petrol pump and proceeded toward Baikampady Industrial area. Shooting schedule at Baikampady started well after 1:30PM when Vikas arrived with others after completing the Taj Mahal episode. He smiled at me and I returned smile. We both didn't speak to each other, though he tried to strike a conversation with me, and I was grim. He laughed heartily and met people around, exchanging greetings. I remembered each word told by Shruti and Mughda that Vikas will be very casual and the video shoot may need more retakes, once Vikas familiarises with the co-actor and deviates from the main theme and talks about his own personal matters. Me greeting Vikas at the entrance of the Kori Rotti during the shooting itself, was our formal intro! Of course Ashwin Shetty the dynamic director liked my dialogue "Welcome to Namma Kudla" in Tulu. I had not watched any of the episodes of Twist of Taste(TOT) or Master Chef show with Vikas Khanna on TV, but I did watch the youtube recordings of Vikas on Master Chef and Vineet Bhatia on TOT as soon as it was confirmed by OML that I was in the Kori Rotti episode. Looking at Vikas, I was very much relaxed and happy that he was a happy go lucky casual and friendly guy who can relieve anyone's tension!

At the Kori Rotti Factory

The shooting schedule went on smoothly, Ashwin making things easy for me with minimum retakes, we completed the shooting session there little after 3:00PM and they served food packets to all. Cold drinks were ready in abundance in ice boxes. I didn't eat anything as I was to eat with Vikas at our home. We went home at around 3:45PM and there Vikas was again being friendly with all those friends and neighbours who came to see him, but was disappointed, not to see a big crowd at our place to greet him. He said he'd have been more happy meeting people, as he loved to be loved by all! Yes. He did visit our front door neighbours who were his fans, and spent 15 minutes with them, assuring them that he will be back next year and dine with them! Such is the simplicity of this great Chef Vikas Khanna. I prepared Chicken Kubera in a hurry and that was also served to Vikas along with Kori Rotti, Kadle Manoli Sukkha  and the spicy tangy Wild Jackfruit and Raw Mango in Brine Chutney made by our neighbour Vinaya Shenoy. Vikas was all praises for Meena's cooking and was amazed to know that Chicken Kubera was my own formulation, reminiscing over the taste of the dish with the same name as prepared by a cook long ago.
Vikas looking at the Tata Nano ad
Vikas with the author and his wife Meena
































Vikas with his fans















Vikas with a young admirer


















The Creative Team enjoying our food

Twist of Taste with Vikas Khanna-  Mangalore Kori Rotti Full Episode

The camera crew were very active. Cinematographer Ankit Mhatre did lot of acrobatics with his Canon 5D Mark III, climbing on the kitchen platform, finding a corner to get the right angle of the Kori Ghasi being tempered with a seasoning by Meena, even the electricians and spot boys did a good job, fixing spot lights and reflectors within a jiffy and also dismantling them fast. Director Ashwin Shetty, Namma Kudla guy from Kodialguthu West, who had his primary schooling in Mangalore, was very dynamic and he showed ease in executing his job. Mughda Savkar and her teammates who looked after the food presentation, Ashwin, Ankit, Shruti and the creative guys from OML, they all relaxed and gobbled up the food we had prepared, appreciated the taste of Kori Rotti and Chicken Kubera, didn't even show mercy on us when they cleared the food, but heartily helped to clear the empty vessels and plates!



With the 3 Hungry Men
Shooting with The Three Hungry menThat was on the next day, October 23 at Kusum Restaurant, Lower Car Street. They started a bit early, say by 8:00AM and by the time I reached there at 9:30, shooting was just complete for Vikas' entry. Like others, I too was restricted from entering the place, blocking the front and inside of the restaurant so that cinematographers can focus their cameras properly. It was steaming hot inside the back corner of the restaurant where I squeezed myself along with friends and family members of Shailesh Bhat, and watched the shooting in progress. All I could see was, a kitchen helper rolling out Mangalore Buns, Shailesh frying them in hot oil and Ankit with his camera perched in a corner behind the frying pan! I could hear Vikas, Nikhil and Colin speaking and laughing, the boys and girls cheering Vikas and directors going in and out, instructing the camera guys and the lamp boys to do the necessary changes in positions. 


The creative team with Vikas at Kusum restaurant
View from the kitchen
After a while, I could not tolerate the heat, I was sweating like a sponge, and decided to go out and breathe fresh air. It was already 10:30 by then. Regular customers of Kusum Caterers started coming for meals parcel, which was arranged in the adjoining shop where podis are sold in the evenings. I saw the tempting crisp Green Chilli Fritters in the glass cage over the counter. Suddenly Vikas appeared on the sidewalk, drinking cold water and looking exhausted. 


He smiled and spoke to me - "Mr. Rajnikanth, just look at my position! They chased me out and they allowed you in!"  

Then the women at the counter offered him the fritters, saying "Mirchi Bhajia hai, achha hai!"

Vikas ate couple of them and exclaimed "Yeh bilkul theeka nahin hai. Not pungent at all!"

Then he yelled "Aah.....haahaa....uff uff!" and gulped some water. I knew it was his antic to amuse us and he didn't fail in that attempt! We all laughed our heads off, watching him.

Vikas relaxing with a drink after hectic shooting
Cinematographer Ankit behind the camera


Hot cross Buns ready
After they were done with the shooting at 12:30PM, Vikas posed with many of the spectators for photo session and his gesture in hugging Shailesh's mother and flanking two women workers of Kusum Caterers was some scene to remember.












Fresh n hot Mangalore Buns
Shooting in progress
Shailesh Bhat ready with the buns
Vikas with Shailesh Bhat and family







About Vikas Khanna
Vikas said, Indian traditional food has tremendous potential globally and the street food is amazingly still popular with the masses after decades of its presence all over the Country. He added that though the curriculum taught them mostly Continental cuisine facilitating the new Chefs to settle down in Europe and the USA mostly, he chose Indian Cooking specially because his roots in Amritsar taught him to concentrate on our traditions and extend Indian hospitality to the west. It's not a wonder, he's doing extremely well with 'Junoon', his boutique Restaurant in New York since over a decade, serving traditional Indian cuisine. He also fondly remembered his schooling days at Welcome Group Graduate School of Hotel Administration Manipal, his teachers, his colleagues, the Krishna Temple in Udupi, his reminiscence of chanting Kannada bhajan there and narrated many other experiences candidly. Most of the times he mentioned about the bondage with his beloved mom. He says, all mothers are inspiration to him whenever he takes up something challenging. Their love and blessings keep him going.


Both myself and Meena felt good that it was not just a video shoot for Fox Traveller, not just an episode of Twist of Taste, but it was like meeting a great humanitarian, a storehouse of knowledge, a philosopher, a messiah who spread happiness wherever he went,  the tall, slim, fair and handsome Vikas Khanna.

May his tribe increase.



Epilogue
The show Twist of Taste With Vikas Khanna - Coastal Curries Mangalore episodes were telecast on February 24 and March 3 this year, and there were repeat telecasts from time to time. Our episode Kori Rotti, Byari Biryani and Mangalore Buns with The Three Hungry Men were highlighted in 'The Best of Twist of Taste - Coastal Curries' special extended one hour episode in which, behind the scene shots were highlighted. You may watch the highlights of the show following the link here below. Three episodes of Twist of Taste including myself, my wife Meena, my cousin Kudpi Jagadish Shenoy and his son Sudarshan and of course, The Three Hungry Men Nikhil Pai and Colin D'Souza. That's by all standards, a job well done by Mangalorean Konkanis in highlighting the local cuisine for a prestigious national Channel like Fox Traveller, with Michelin Starred Master Chef Vikas Khanna!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the write up Raj, it must have been like preparing for a "final exam". :)

Anonymous said...

Good write up Raj, you must have been as anxious as on an exam day for sure. Enjoyed reading it.

Rajanikanth Shenoy, Kudpi said...

Thanks Prem. Yeah, once they announced that I'm in, it was more or less like waiting on pins and needles!