Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Lorry Shutter

Pic source: www.stockpicturesforeveryone.com
Since my childhood, I was fascinated by buses and lorries. I used to stand outside our compound in Ballalbagh near the circle beneath the big Acacia tree and watch the passing buses and lorries on the MG Road, announcing their names aloud. Sometimes we hoodlum boys would climb up into the cabin or back of the Sri Dharmasthala lorries parked outside our compound or even Maha Mysore lorries belonging to Lalbagh Stores opposite our compound and act as if we were the owners!

One small incidence at the Mangalore Ganesh Beedies Compound that happened in the mid Sixties left me scared for many days. We four friends used to play in that compound, climbing trees and plucking raw mangoes or cashew fruit with the help of Dinesh, a boy who stayed in the outhouse there.

We were playing as usual one day, myself, Dinesh, Mahaveer and Naveen. I saw the beedi lorry parked in the compound in a corner. I told my friends, we shall get into the back of the lorry. We climbed up with slight difficulty, as the back shutter of the lorry was pretty high, designed to keep the beedi boxes secure inside. We then decided to open the shutter and then climb up and jump down. That was our most cherished game then.

We loosened the hooks attached to a chain that held the shutter secure on both sides, released the shutter and it collapsed with a big thud and started swinging! We got scared that security watchman may hear the sound and catch us. We ran and hid behind a big Mundappa mango tree nearby and waited. Nothing happened. After 5 minutes, we went back to the lorry and decided to close the door and lock it. All the four of us tried to lift the door but it was so heavy, we could not lift it more than a few inches! We tried with all the strength we had and the door moved up almost 75%. Then the unexpected happened! Naveen sneezed and he could not support the door properly. The remaining three of us had all the weight on our shoulders and we had to let go the door and move back, but the door hit the head of Naveen, and he cried "Amma...." and then collapsed!

We tried to wake him up but he would not move a bit. We also saw that his head had a small bulge and a cut that bled a little. Now we all panicked and felt butterflies in the stomach. We let go the door but how can we show our faces to the parents of Naveen who had blacked out? What story can we tell them? I was also slightly worried about my parents, who'd never allow such stupidity in our home. I thought that was the last day of my stay at home and I'll be kicked out!

Call it a miracle or what, Naveen suddenly sneezed again and opened his eyes! He also tried to get up and we supported him. Slowly he got up and sat down, watching us as if he's in a trance. Dinesh told him "Talk man. Tell something. Can't you recognise us, your friends?"

He mumbled something. I asked "What?" He faintly said "My head hurts. I am thirsty." Dinesh ran home and after a while came back with a brass pot full of water. He gave Naveen water to drink and then Naveen smiled a bit and said "Shall we go back and close the lorry shutter?" We saw each others' faces and laughed aloud with joy.

The lorry shutter was still left open when we went home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness! I remember Naveen Kini getting some injuries. Was it the same episode?

Vidya Nayak Shenoy said...

Hehe.. boys will be boys..