Sunday, June 8, 2014

How Independent Are You?

Man is a social animal. Animals move in groups or packs. Many of us follow the same. Ever since I was a small boy, I have been moving in social groups of relatives and friends.

At some point of time in my life, I also found out that I can also live independently, without anyone for company while I do the following:

1. Make decisions or planning.
2. Travel, drive or ride
3. Cooking
4. Eating
5. Sleeping
6. Watching movies, attending concerts or listening to music
7. Attending weddings or functions

Perhaps I inherited this quality from my father who was also like that. I was immensely fascinated by the adventure stories of great people during my childhood, especially Robinson Crusoe! Many a times I've succeeded in making right decisions by thinking alone and not with group discussion. I have cooked wonderful meals single handed, travelled with more excitement and done many other things without anyone to talk to or discuss with. That doesn't mean I am not social. I am very social and I also enjoy parties and functions. I am talking about more effective ways in which I can do things all alone!

Now, how many of you think or feel like I do?

Do you need someone with you while you do something or all of the above?

This is important because old age is something when people need company most of all and if we learn to live independently, we can face old age confidently!

2 comments:

vasanth said...

I am not a loner. I need someone to be with me when i do all those tings you mentioned above. Maybe it is an inherent weakness, the result of not having had someone to hold my hand when i was small. The need is more as one ages. I find comfort and security in company.

Rajanikanth Shenoy, Kudpi said...

You're right Vasanth Maam. I am just trying to be independent as much as possible and also trying to motivate others to be prepared to face life when they become aged.