Monday, June 9, 2014

Network Marketing Mess

Pic source: http://zentomedia.com
I was one of the first persons in Mangalore to avoid joining a big marketing network canvassed by a few friends who came to me with literature, floppies and audio cassettes with rosy pictures of getting rich faster. I'd taken VRS from Bank job then, and was a potential BAKRA for all those guys who were bakras already! A guy called who produced ice cubes was behind me for almost 6 months. He used to cling on to me at every function, every party and try to convince me. I told him, it is like a big stadium where a show is going on. The stars are in the middle of the stadium and we're on the galleries. It will take helluva lot of effort to catch hold of people and market the concept to add glitter to the stars on the ground.

I am talking about the year 2001 when it was just catching up here. All they focussed was on buying kits worth a certain amount and add members. Can't recollect how much initial investment and how many members we're supposed to add. First family friends of my wife came for recording to my place. They praised me and made me climb the chickpea plant. Then at a wedding reception the most handsome guy took me aside and said "For you VRS guys I've got the best and easy way to make money."

Later he came with that "ice ice baby" guy(wholesale bar ice manufacturer) who came with a load of literature, floppy and audio cassettes. He showed me the glittering pics the floppy and enacted the way those guys performed in the stadium. When I said I'm not meant for marketing, he said " We all lag behind in life because of that negative thinking. Think positive, dream of owning a mansion, a car not less than a Ferrari, qualitative living and being identified among celebrities! I've decided that I've been slogging too much in my line and it's about time I laid my hands on big bucks."

Later, he was following me at every function and party, sticking like glue to me from the beginning till the end, introducing me to some big shots and showing some people who have successfully made money with that network chain! Most of the parties were flooded by the same people. I then stopped attending such parties. That guy also stopped following me. Those books, cassettes and floppies were with me for almost a year. I sent him a message to take them back but he didn't turn up. Then those materials went into the dust bin.

A relative put a big board for the meeting with network marketing people saying 'E-COMMERCE'. I said bull shit and I'd not touch such offers with a 10 feet pole.

Many such attempts were made by friends and relatives to hook me. Either they were greedy or misinformed, but I was potential bakra in their minds! What they failed to understand is, is the dream to get rich without efforts make people fall for such crap, but simple living realistic person like me are hard nuts to crack.

I also said a big NO to a Club membership when I got repeated phone calls in the nineties. Many of my rich friends have lost from 10000 to 25000. A friend in Bangalore was telling me his experience. Without being a member they tried their New year's bash in Bangalore and it was organised very badly. They had to pay for many extras that were promised on the entry coupon and the show was in poor taste. That club opened in Mangalore quite recently but I don't think it is as popular as the three age old reputed clubs functioning well in Mangalore.

Teak plantations, time share resorts and many other investments with rosy pictures have bitten dust today. So many of these things are hyped and many greedy persons in an attempt to get rich fast, became bakras but they try to hide their stories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing in life comes easy. Usually old retired people are the prey for such scams and schemes.

Rajanikanth Shenoy, Kudpi said...

You're right. But then, old and retired people should suppress their greed to multiply money. Rather they should learn to live within means and bounds. Bank Deposits in India earn decent interest. Why can't people be happy with that!