Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Saturday Night Fever

Pic courtesy: http://www.childrenspartysupplies.com.au/
In the year 1982, I was staying in a rented house with other friends from Mangalore in 3rd block, Rajajinagar Bangalore. One of the inmates was good at disco dancing. He used to dance at rock concerts and sometimes in the house on weekends, when we used to switch on coloured dim lights and play loud music on the record player driven through my high wattage system.

It was August and I saw an ad in Sunday Midday about disco competition at Knock Out Disco on Brigade Road. That Disco was owned by Sanjeev Kumar, the veteran actor's Black Pearl Hotels. My brother Kamalakanth told me that one of his friends, a Dental practitioner in Bangalore had won first prize in the previous year's solo competition. He added that our friend is a good dancer and he may also win if we groom him up well. I brainwashed our house mate  Narayan and his relative Shivanand who was also our house mate agreed to pay the entry fee and also for Narayan's costume. They went to a tailor and got light pinkish orange satin dress like Mithun Chakraborty wore in Disco films!

We started grooming up the guy and late daily evening his disco session started with myself playing all the hit disco numbers and watching his steps and rhythm. My knowledge of disco music came in handy and I knew what they played in modern discos those days. Kamalakanth also came as an observer on weekends and gave his nod that the guy is indeed good at his steps!

Shivanand had given the name as Avinash in the entry form because Narayan sounded very ordinary. Avinash was more trendy! The competition was on Saturday the September 11th and my birthday was on 9th!

I hosted my birthday party at Hotel Elite near Sangam Talkies with Solan No.1 and sumptuous food. Mahendra and Shivanand the other two house mates wore clean ironed clothes and I was looking shabby that day with unshaven beard, unpolished shoes, crumpled dotted grey shirt and grey trousers. Only jazzy outfit I wore was a foam leather jacket! It was decided that I am going back to room and the other two will be going to Knock Out with Narayan...oops Avinash. Mahendra pestered me to come with them but I refused. I wanted to celebrate my birthday in a very subtle way!

The disco competition was to begin at 9.30pm and they left at 8.30pm by auto to brigade road. I continued partying with other friends at Hotel Elite.

At around 9.00pm, I was curious to see what's happening at Knock Out Disco! I went straight to Brigade Road riding Shivanand's scooter, parked the scooter and went up the stairs to Knock Out. Shivanand and Mahendra were seated outside the entrance and both were looking furious and disappointed. I asked Shivanand what happened and why they're there. He said the show will begin any moment but he and Mahendra were not allowed to go in! I asked why. He said, they allow only couples with entry tickets and single contestants. So Avinash(Narayan) was allowed to go in and they were stopped by the guard! Avinash was standing aside, looking confused himself.

I said I'll find a way out. I went to the guys there and told them "Look guys. These two friends here have to accompany Avinash. He can't speak English and someone has to assist him while he's asked questions."

"That's not our problem. That's your problem. We've made it clear that only couples with ticket and the competitors are allowed to enter!"

I too felt slightly annoyed. Then an idea flashed to me. I went to the guard and told him  "I don't know what's the problem for you to allow someone to go in with the competitor. We're here just to see our friend win the dance competition and we're absolutely peaceful guys. I'm the one who trained this guy and he needs me with him because he can't speak English! If you don't allow all the three of us, it's OK. At least allow me in!"

The guard seemed to be convinced and he whispered something in the ears of the conveners. They looked at me and asked me "You're the one who trained him? You a choreographer?"

I nodded my head. They asked my name and I said "Rajnikanth".

They nodded approvingly and showed me the way in and I happily went inside with Avinash(Narayan). They told me not to come out time and again, as the bosses may interfere and catch me red handed. Then I turned around and saw a glimpse of Shivanand and Mahendra sitting outside, watching the door helplessly!

Once in, I told Avinash to change his dress. We went straight into the toilet. Avinash's kick was down and he felt slightly nervous. I took a quarter bottle from my hip pocket and gave him. He took a swig and passed on to me. I too took a swig. Avinash put on the disco shirt. As he was about to put on the pants, I heard the announcement "Next contestant is Avinash! Welcome him with a loud applause please!"

Clap clap clap...............!

I told Avinash to run fast and appear on the floor. He hurriedly took another swig and ran out wearing pinkish orange satin disco shirt and coffee brown polyester pant! I hid the empty quarter bottle behind the flush tank and came out of the toilet. 'Pop Musik by M' was on and Avinash was dancing well....except for one small mistake. He was not facing the audience! He got very good support from the crowd and I asked the guy standing next to me "How's his dance? I trained him!"

That guy made an acid remark "He's good. He's good. He's gonna win today! I'll see that he goes to number one! I'm the boss...don't you know?"

I said "He's better than anyone else. Just a small error, him not facing the audience in the beginning. Later he's just superb. He ought to win, whether you decide or not!"

That guy seemed angry and he was about to mumble something. Then his friend winked at me and made sign language that the guy is not OK!

I slowly slipped away and by then Avinash's dance was over and he was being cheered by many. Some girls kissed him on the cheeks and I was thrilled to see all that! It was like entering a movie set for me!

I took Avinash to a corner sofa almost near the entrance and as the door was swinging, I could see Mahendra still sitting on one side looking at the ceiling! I went out with Avinash and told both Shivanand and Mahendra that Avinash did a fantastic performance but I was slightly worried about his start with back to the audience! Shivanand said it is usually Mithun's style and nothing wrong with it! I felt like banging my head against the head rest of the chair! I told him "This is not like Hindi film disco man! This is western style! Then Shivanand and Mahendra told me bitterly "You lucky brat! You know how to talk and your English is too good. That's why they allowed you in and didn't allow us!"

I said "I was very polite in my talk and perhaps that clicked."

They both left the place without further hope to get in, and I went inside with Avinash. We ordered a beer and shared between the two of us.

There was an interlude before the couples competition started and Avinash found a partner to dance on the floor. Girls were readily coming forward to dance with him! I was all alone at our table.

Few guys at the next table had some dispute with their partners. They were arguing aloud. I asked one of the girls what's up. She said the girls wanted to dance but the guys are not in the mood. I asked one of the guys "Hey is it OK if I take one of the girls for dancing?"

That guy looked furious, he mockingly laughed and said "Take your boy friend. He's good for you!"

Then the most unexpected thing happened! The girl who spoke to me few minutes earlier, got up from her seat and announced "I am going with him. Let me see who stops me! Let's go buddy. Don't care about them!"

Then she took my hand and walked proudly onto the floor and we danced! Her costly perfume made me dizzy and her confident looks and eloquent dancing style made me slightly nervous! One thing kept me going was the booze! I was sweating even in the chilled ambiance but didn't miss the steps. My dancing style was too fast for her steps. The girl was giggling, looking at me sweating and wiping it off with my hanky!

Then the dance ended, and I asked my partner how was the dance. She didn't say anything but her body language showed that she thoroughly enjoyed it. Then we were back to our seats. I saw that most of the boys sitting next to us had left already! There were 4 girls and two boys left and they all looked bored! I didn't have the courage to ask the girls if they'd have something on me. My wallet was thin already!

After the couples competition, we got one more chance to dance and this time we need not ask. The girls voluntarily came to us and accompanied us! This time a taller girl was my partner and her steps were much in rhythm with mine. We left the place at 1.30am and didn't want to continue, as I was almost broke and had just Rs.25/- in my pocket which was not even sufficient to buy a beer!

Zero entry fee for me, no dancing partner to take in, and yet I managed to dance twice with two different partners, thanks to my presence of mind! Our expense inside was just Rs.28/- for a beer and they gave free wafers along with it!

The competition was won by Ajay Hegde, a Kannada film actor those days. He was too good and energetic. He did a few somersaults and acrobatics on one hand too! His turn was before Avinash's and hence we hadn't seen his dance. He did it once more after winning the competition.

A surprise Saturday Night Fever, 25th Birthday Present for me at the Disco that evening in Bangalore!

No comments: