Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Maid Who Did a Clean Job

Pic credit as per watermark
I stayed in a house belonging to Kapu Panduranga Nayak in Malleshwaram 1st Cross Bangalore for two years from November 1982 to November 1984. Earlier, I was staying with three other friends, Shivanand, his relative Narayan and Mahendra in Rajajinagar 3rd Block. When Shivanand's marriage was fixed with Narayan's sister, I and Mahendra were compelled to to vacate the house within a couple of months. My friend Ganesh Baliga suggested that his in-law's place in Malleshwaram is vacant and I can stay there without paying any deposit, at a nominal rent of Rs.300/- per month. So, I moved in earlier, and stayed with Venkatesh Nayak, the owner's nephew who worked for KEB. Mahendra moved in soon after he vacated the house in Rajajinagar.

The house was upstairs and was quite roomy with an open balcony, verandah, hall and kitchen apart from bath room and toilet. The main two locked bed rooms had belongings of the owners, who were in Nigeria. Venkatesh Nayak occupied one of those rooms, I and Mahendra occupied rest of the house. However, cleaning the house was a big hassle, and a maid servant Malli appointed by us was very good and honest. 

Mahendra got married soon and shifted to a rented house in Rajajinagar. Another friend from Mangalore Gurudath Prabhu joined me as room mate and he was with me until 1983 end. 

Then Gurudath referred Deepak Kamath, who working at Peenya as engineer. Deepak came as my new room mate.

Malli also got married. When she left the job, I asked her to find a replacement for us. She spoke to Maadevi, who resembled the female role played by Kamalhasan in 'Oye Shanmukhi'. She had a dramatic style of talking and smiling. 

When she took over the job from Malli, she said "Saar don't worry. This Maadevi has 22 years experience in housekeeping. I will see to it that this home will be like my own, and I will keep it very clean."

Well, she did good work initially, and the red oxide flooring did sparkle like mirror! My inmate Deepak had to go early to his factory and he left at 6:30am. Maadevi came for work at 7:30. My office was at 10:30am and I wanted to wake up late, by about 8:30 or so. 

Maadevi observing a drowsy me sitting on the bed, yawning and dozing off, "Saar you sleep without any worry. I will do my job and leave the house without disturbing you."

It was like a lullaby in my ears and I almost danced with joy hearing Maadevi say that! From that day onwards, I'd open the door for Maadevi and go to sleep. She used to silently work and leave the place by 8:00am, closing the self locking main door. 

However, all was not well! 

One morning, I woke up little early and went to the bath room to switch on the water heater. There I saw Maadevi packing last bits and pieces of toilet soap that I used to collect in the corner of the bath room near the copper pot in which they stored bathing water. She was hurriedly stubbing that packet into the saree fold and suddenly she saw me! 

She smiled and said "Saar these waste pieces of soap....I thought you don't want them..... so....!"

I was shocked no doubt, but I didn't show any emotions. 

I said "Hmmm.....OK. Take them, but inform me next time before you take them. I needed them for some purpose."

She seemed relaxed and said "Ayyo why do you want these waste pieces of soap saar! You live like  a maharaja and use new soap. We poor people need these you see. I have two small children whom I will bathe with these soap bits and tell them, our dhani is so kind, he has given these for you!"

I smiled and nodded my head. She must've felt like a big storm subside very quickly. 

I was a bit worried. I had seen her bringing a plastic wire basket everyday. Has she been whacking things other than waste soap bits? I decided to spy on her.

Next day onward, I'd open the door for her and stay awake until she left the house. I also used to keep an eye on her time and again as she worked in the kitchen. I had a vague doubt that some of the groceries as well as a few utensils were missing! I could not prove anything, and I never had a chance to catch her red handed. I also realised that some of my good audio cassettes were also missing, which I had thought were borrowed my friends and not returned. Maadevi's modus operandi made me suspect that she's the one who lifted the cassettes!

Then it was Deepavali time. Our owners returned from Nigeria for good,and I had to vacate the house along with Deepak. Of course Maadevi was continued as domestic helper by the owners but I didn't have the chance to tell them about her. I just cautioned them that they better keep an eye on her when she works. Their family had many members and they could not monitor Maadevi's movements. I left the house and stayed with my brother Kamalakanth and Deepak moved to some other place. 

Our owner lady Mrs. Nayak, was very affectionate and she invited me to their place every weekend to have lunch. That first Sunday when I went to their home, she called me aside and asked me in a low voice "Where did you find Maadevi?"

I said she was referred to us by Malli, our previous helper.

"Hmmm....Maadevi is such a big thief! Within two weeks, she has cleaned our house and whacked many things! I fired her and now we are doing all the jobs ourselves. Did you not lose anything when she worked for you?"

"Maybe, maybe not! All I know is that she was whacking some left over last bits of soap and I didn't stop her. I don't have many valuables to boast about, had some utensils and things, but now I am left with very few!"

Mrs. Nayak continued, "Aah! Kitchen utensils! Maadevi has even whacked big vessels and things! One day I checked her basket and found couple of brand new pans I had brought from Nigeria. I kept them inside and watched her expression. She looked worried and was looking as if she's lost something. Then I asked her what's up". 

She said "Nothing.... I felt a little tired today. Your work is too heavy for me. Next month onward you should pay me 50 Rupees more!"

"Then I told her enough is enough and that I am not paying a single paise more. If she's not happy with the job, she may get lost, and she quit the job!

That's probably what Maadevi's 'Clean Job' was all about!

1 comment:

Vidya Nayak Shenoy said...

Haha.. Nice clean job... V had a maid too earlier.. n always there was short of the coins.. as v used to keep on tables, book shelves, kitchen counters etc.. n after watching the maid came to know that she used to collect all those in the bucket which she used to clean n wipe the house.. the water being dirty at the end couldn't see the coins there n even if searched couldn't have found with her.. smart application of knowledge..:)